Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Chemex is code for awesome

I love coffee. Love love love. I could live on coffee. I'm not even joking. I run on coffee. 

Now, normally, I use my keurig. Because its easy. Its quick. It requires very little effort or thought, which is a very good thing when I wake up in the morning with the kids and need my caffeine asap. So, when I heard of the chemex, I was a little hesitant. Why would I bother trying something that required more energy? Why deviate from my current routine???

But I did it. I bought one. Because part of me really needed to know what the hype is all about. I needed to know if it really could make my coffee taste any better. I needed to know if I was missing out on something amazing. 


I went with the small 1-3 cup pint sized one. 


The chemex its self looks pretty neat. I love the steam lined look of it. And the wood piece around the neck works really nicely as a handle. 


The filters were a little strange to me. Having to fold my own filter seemed like a pain, and the type of filters you buy at the grocery store won't work. You have to buy the fancy filters, but they aren't really that much more expensive it just means you have to order them ahead of time. Its possible that they sell them in stores, but none of the ones around me don't. 


So I followed the directions and I folded the filter up and put it into my pretty new chemex




You then put the coffee in, and then enough water to wet the grounds, and then you wait 30 seconds before adding anymore water. This apparently lets the ground bloom, whatever that means. 


Then you add more water, keeping the water level an inch or so below the top of the chemex. 


That little bump on the glass is supposed to be the full mark. 



I always seem to fill mine a little higher than you're supposed to, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.


I found that in my normal coffee cup the chemex makes me about 1.5 cups of coffee. With all the effort I wish I had gone with the bigger size. It would be nice to make more cups all at once.

The chemex claims that it makes great coffee, without any bitterness. And its true. My coffee really does taste fantastic. I love it. 

I don't know that I will be replacing my keurig completely, because honestly I don't have the time to make coffee with the chemex every day, and there is no way that Im going to get up earlier just to make it. I do love it though. My normal coffee tastes better in it, and its worth the effort. 

Until Next Time,
Sara









No comments:

Post a Comment